More than 31,000 new cases of oral cancer will appear in Canada this year. During the same time period 7,880 will die of oral cancer. If detected, at least half of them will live more than 5 years. One of the Identafi system's most important tasks is to help identify areas that might, if not identified and treated, progress to oral cancer. The Identafi system is designed to help dentist recognize oral abnormalities found on the lips, mouth, and upper throat. In just two minutes, with no rinses, stains or discomfort, a Identafi examination allows dentist to improve their assessment of your overall oral health.
How it Works
The Identafi uses a safe blue light and fluorescence technology to show differences between normal and abnormal tissues in the mouth. Looking through a special lens, dentists can detect changes several cell layers deep in the early stages that frequently can not be seen by the naked eye.
Why You Should Be Screened
- Oral cancer kills one person every hour in North America
- Oral cancer has 3 times as many victims as cervical cancer
- If you are over 40, smoke and drink alcohol you are at an increased risk to develop oral cancer
- Nearly half of oral cancer patients are expected to die within 5 years because of a late diagnosis, however when detected early it is 80% to 90% survivable.
- Unfortunately, only 35% of case are diagnosed in the early stages.